What a very helpful tip! So basically I need to remove the nicknames out of the AKA field and only leave name variations found in the records, right?

michele

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cathy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Cc: "Barbara Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:41 PM
Subject: [LegacyUG] Nickneames [was:Surname formatting part II]

Hi Barbara
You're looking for the "Quoted Name" feature.

Instead of entering
May Elizabeth (Mayme) Scruggs
(To convert: Use Search and Replace on the Given Names to change ( to " and then ) to ")
Enter given names
May Elizabeth "Mayme"

The advantage of this entry style over adding it to the AKAs is that Legacy can pick up the Quoted Name in Narrative. In the Report Options, on the Format Tab, you'll find options three options for how names appear in reports. 1) remove Quoted name - so that when the whole name is given you get May Elizabeth Scruggs
2) use quoted name in narrative
so that it will read
May Elizabeth Scruggs was born on ....
Mayme married ...
3) use full given names in narrative
so that it will read
May Elizabeth Scruggs was born on ....
May Elizabeth married ...

Obviously you only choose one of 2 or 3.

In Event Sentences and Report Titles, where you choose to use [FirstName] or [FirstHeShe] if you check Use quoted name in narrative, these codes pick up the Quoted Name.

Cathy