To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: [LegacyUG] Sources

Here is a question that I have put-off asking but all this talk of sources makes me ask it. I have been interested in family history for about 45 years and a lot of information is on bits of paper, charts inherited, etc. I have used a number of family history programmes on computer but now use Legacy, having previously used Reunion. And I now have to admit that virtually nothing is sourced on Legacy!!

How can I realistically begin to address this problem with over 3000 people in the file? I have tried to append sources but find it tedious and confusing to fill in the source data and usually just give up. I do realise that this makes my work sadly inadequate as serious information.

Would it be a start to try to get my head around sourcing the non-standard information. In other words, if the data comes from a standard birth, marriage or death certificate or parish register then leave it un-sourced and concentrate on those bits of information found in other places - for example a local trade directory or Will or Army record?

Any advice please?

Elizabeth

Give Legacy as a Gift for 25% Off. Visit http://tinyurl.com/2b49et

Give Legacy as a Gift for 25% Off. Visit http://tinyurl.com/2b49et