If I may interject my thought here.  I find this rather interesting.

When I think of England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand etc., I think of individually governed countries within a single nation unit. In example the British Isles.

When I see the term Britain or British Isles, etc. I think of the nation unit that is over the individual countries. I know "nation" might not be the right word.... Britain, in my humble mind, seems to me to be the overall government and Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Australia.... are all ultimately ruled by the Crown.

I did seem to consider that the Royal Crown was over all the British holdings, and each of them are individually governed within themselves. Almost like our state and federal relationship, except I see Britain as allowing a greater self-governing rule with some minor overseeing by the Crown; where as in the United States, there's this HUMONGOUS federal government where people like to dictate what the individual states can and cannot do.

If I'm wrong (and I probably am), I love to know 'exactly' how this really is.... I have lots of ancestry and interest in

I will accept private eMail ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) if this would be too far off topic.

_____
From Mike Fry
Yes! That's because Americans think that Scotland & Ireland are States within the UK. The TNA regards the censuses as separate entities, based on the legal system: England & Wales being one entity, Scotland a second and Ireland (north & south until partition) a third.

_____
Jan Roberts wrote:
Thanks Mike,
Although I should point out that the set of CDs produced by the LDS Church is quite clearly labelled 1881 British Census and includes England, Scotland, Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Royal Navy.