It very much depends on the brand and model.  In the past six months I've
recovered data (for other people) from a 3 year old Western Digital IDE
drive (not bootable) and an 18 month old Samsung SATA drive (bad sectors
and not bootable).  These were both desktop PCs, so not subject to the
mechanical abuse that laptops receive.  On the other hand, I have an
ancient laptop that runs almost 24/7 on a drive that was used and of
unknown age when installed 3 years ago.

Thinking "no-years" leads to good backup practices ;-)

John