-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Carter
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:58 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Backing Up Legacy Files

It very much depends on the brand and model.  In the past six months I've
recovered data (for other people) from a 3 year old Western Digital IDE
drive (not bootable) and an 18 month old Samsung SATA drive (bad sectors
and not bootable).  These were both desktop PCs, so not subject to the
mechanical abuse that laptops receive.  On the other hand, I have an
ancient laptop that runs almost 24/7 on a drive that was used and of
unknown age when installed 3 years ago.

Thinking "no-years" leads to good backup practices ;-)

John

I heard 5 years, then I heard 2 years, then some-one told me they'd had
disks go bad in under one year.  I'm down to thinking no-years.  I think
it's one of those things where if it works - great!  If it doesn't, good
thing I had another plan.   I use external hard-drives, flash-drives,
online storage (Mozy) and email.

JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html