I have used this web archive site to return to currently non-existent websites that had pedigrees, etc. on them. I had the exact website and at least a year in my notes. That's another reason to include a date stamp or date accessed.

OT:  I also use the web archive frequently at work.  I'm an auditor.

Dawn

Bob wrote:

Geoff Rasmussen wrote:

Bob,

There's actually a tool called The Wayback Machine that will display the
content of websites as of a certain date. See our Legacy News article about
it at
http://legacynews.typepad.com/legacy_news/2006/08/locating_lost_w.html.
While this won't work for databases, it will work for the static web pages
that may have had simple information.

Geoff,

Yes, I've heard of The Wayback Machine, but I've always thought of it more as a curiosity than a useful tool.

Genealogically speaking, I can't think of anything that I've ever found on a static web page. I've always had to enter search terms, which then triggered database searches to produce information, usually in index form, which then almost always required further clicks to access images with the complete information.

I wonder how The Wayback Machine rates if you try to access any of the thousands of news sites. Those sites have a lot of static pages, but the pages are updated every few minutes in many cases. Surely almost everything that is posted to those sites is lost to The Wayback Machine.

Bob