Cliff,

Interesting questions. Let me tell a little about my experience.

Firstly, like others, I sure wish we had the SourceWriter when I first
started doing sources. We didn't have it, so we did the best we could, and
hopefully achieved some degree of consistency. At the very least, entering a
source with the general information.

So I've got a lot of sources - thousands, which has taken years to research
and enter. Since I haven't had the source conversion tool available, I've
been getting more acquainted with the SourceWriter simply by recreating my
existing sources.

There's no way that I'm going to go through my entire master source list,
along with all of its citations, to convert them to the new format. Not all
at once anyway. Rather, as I'm working on an existing family, I will spend
the time to recreate the sources/citations. I can't tell you all how many
"new" things I've noticed in my documents by doing it this way. While the
documents didn't change, my perspective of them has, and I've noticed that
in my original citations, I didn't include everything that was relevant. The
SourceWriter has not only helped me enter all of the information correctly,
but it has given me a "second chance" to review my documents.

Next, when I'm adding in new people, I just use the SourceWriter. No
conversion tool necessary.

As we developed the SourceWriter templates, we did our best to correctly
interpret the models as shown in Elizabeth Mills' Evidence Explained. Some
things were difficult to interpret. Many things provide a lot of flexibility
and so we tried to incorporate all of this the best we could. Sometimes
there are fields that are difficult to understand without understanding more
about the source type. For example, what is a Series, or Collection, or
Record Group? So to try to help the Legacy user understand what goes in the
fields, you'll notice the faint gray text inside the data entry boxes. Also,
if you hover your cursor on top of the field label, a yellow tool tip will
appear showing the entire example. We've built in "hint" tools that will be
developed. In other words, if you have a question about which source type to
select, you'll be able to just click on a little question mark button where
frequently asked questions about the source type will be answered. This will
come with time. Also, while Evidence Explained has hundreds of models, not
every model includes an example of how to cite each medium. For example, one
of the models in the book might explain how to cite the record on microfilm,
but doesn't cover the same source as a database or an online image. Our
first release of the SourceWriter contains the templates for most of the
models in the book. We will be next working to fill in all of the missing
media so every source type has a full range of media from which to choose.

Just some of my thoughts....

Thanks,

Geoff Rasmussen
Millennia Corporation