I presume this is a standardisation tip. It's not law. You can choose to follow or ignore. For some of the situations you give, you may want to keep Unknown. For others I don't have trouble with a blank. If something isn't filled in, it means it isn't known. I'd only put Unknown or Unrecorded or Not Named when the information can never be known.
Others disagree strongly and like things like [--?--]

Cathy