What a lot of ill informed nonsense.

How on earth is it easier to sort through every damn email than to simply look
at a forum and then choose the topics you are interested in ONLY.

You don't get every single useless, repeated and unwanted email clogging up
everything.

Message boards are in no way slower to email and usually faster, all the ones I
use are instantaneous.
Your point of sorting a mailing list is uneducated - a forum is basically a
sorted email list except you don't have to receive or look at every email, you
only look at what you are interested in.

If you were on dial up now I doubt you would be wanting to receive  a 100 plus
emails daily on a slow list let alone the thousand you would receive on most.

Did you ever wonder why mailing listed have almost died everywhere and forums
took over - faster, easier, better searching, better history and you only look
at what you want.

Mark

> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:23:53 +0800> To:
> LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re:
> [LegacyUG] Email list for legacy solutions only?> > If there ever is a forum
> for Legacy, hopefully it will be set up like > the Rootsweb ones and
> gatewayed to a mailing list so you never have > to go to it.> However, in my
> experience of Rootsweb, messages gatewayed from the > Boards are generally
> from beginners and almost impossible to respond > to except to ask for
> clarification of their problem or request.> > Message Boards are so much more
> time consuming. Perhaps my > perspective was set when I was on dial up.
> Message Boards are so slow > to use compared to email. However, I still am
> usually frustrated by > trying to find stuff on Message Boards to the point I
> give up.> > With a mailing list you can sort very quickly in so many
> different > ways - certainly necessary at the moment with the mail delays.> >
> Cheers,> Cathy> > At 04:39 AM 9/06/2008, you wrote:> >YES! This is exactly
> what we don't need!. Please please can we > >have this NOT?> >There are many
> of us who loathe using an on line support forum. I> >prefer to read messages
> via email rather that waste my time logging on> >to a forum to see if there
> are any message that I have absolutely no> >interest in.> >> >--> >Regards,>
> >Ron Bernier> >> >> >On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Judith H <[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> wrote:> > >YES! This is exactly what we need! Please please can
> we have this? Geoff?> >> >> >-------Original Message-------> >From: Brian
> Lightfoot> >Date: 6/7/2008 4:17:39 PM> >To:
> LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com> >Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Email list for
> legacy solutions only?> >What you are asking for is a support forum with
> threaded subjects, something> >that many other companies with products and
> services have already set up.> >For example, there could be specific
> categories for sources, one for bug> >reports, one for installation problems,
> one for charting, etc. In addition,> >such forums tend to eliminate the users
> receiving copies of each and every> >message posted, including those messages
> to which the user has no interest.> >Many forums allow the user to specify
> something along the lines of notify> >me of all responses to this message
> which means they would receive an> >e-mail notification about the message
> subject to which they have expressed> >an interest. On the downside, what the
> user may miss is a new subject opened> >to which they may have a great
> interest but have no knowledge that it was> >ever posted. This requires the
> user to visit the forum web site to check for> >new subject matter being
> posted. Why Millenia has not gone this route is a> >mystery to many of us as
> it would eliminate the constantly repeating message> >of plain text only ,
> etc. Maybe we ll see it sometime in the future.> >Brian> >> >> >> >Legacy
> [...]
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT