Tracy Skegg wrote
How do you deal with others sharing your research and using you as a source? Especially when they aren't picking up on the fact that you've used this or that book, certificate, database etc as your source.

As far as what other people do, that's their concern, not mine! If they are using my research as a source for data in their file I prefer that they say so, but precisely how they present that source is entirely their own business.

What I do with information I derive from another person's research is quite a different matter. Sometimes other people provide information without a Source and sometimes they provide it with a Source. In the former case, I will cite that person (their e-mail, or Report or whatever) as my Source.

In the latter case it's just like citing any other information which comes at "second hand". I say "This information is from ABC, citing XYZ.". (Not in those exact words, of course.)

An (abbreviated) example of a Source using SourceWriter is "England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837–1983" ... entry for Jemima Roberts, volume 7, page 11, December quarter 1838, Alverstoke district; citing the General Register Office's England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes.

Note that my actual Source was the FreeBMD website, but that website was citing the GRO Indexes.

If the same information was in a Report from Jane Doe, another Researcher who had derived that information from the GRO Indexes the citation would be something like "Doe, Jane. "Joe Bloggs Family Group Sheet." Supplied by compiler, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] City, State. 2008, citing the General Register Office's England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes
--
Jenny M Benson