I am using Legacy 7.

I am concerned about the Source List Name Field.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jenny M Benson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] consistancy in sources

Michael Berry wrote
Is there a naming convention or pattern in naming sources. The training video suggests:

Country, State, County, City - date - Census - Name

for a census, but of course there are any number of sources out there. I don't want to make up my own system which may change from entry to entry. This would of course result in the same type of source being listed in two or more different ways.

Is there a guide or list? Is "Evidence Explained" the book to get?

Are you using an older version of Legacy or have you got Legacy 7.
Legacy 7 has Source Templates which are based on the methods set out in
E S Mills' book, so if you use the templates your Sources will not only
fairly consistent but will be consistent with those of thousands of
other people.  I have actually found the book very helpful to use in
conjunction with the templates.

If you are using "old style" Sources in Legacy (ie, pre version 7) you
can still write up your Sources à la Mills if you choose to do so. (The
.pdf version of her book is not expensive.)  Certainly having a guide
like that will help you not to list very similar Sources in different
ways every time you create a new one!  (Several of us have been there,
done that!)

If you decide to create your own standard, as many people do, the
important thing to remember is that your Sources must allow someone else
to replicate your research, so provide enough information to enable
that.
--
Jenny M Benson