Michael:

I think you're dealing with two issues here.  As Jenny says, if you use the
SourceWriter templates you will have consistent source names because they're
automatically defined.  And yes, there are established standards for the
formal source names--although there's some variation there, also.  _Evidence
Explained_ covers this well.  The problem is this:  If your Master Source
List is alphabetized by the full formal source name, you'll have a
hodgepodge of a list and by the time you have 200 or more sources, you'll
have a headache trying to find anything on it.  That's where the "Master
Source List Name" is a lifesaver.  You can use that field to add an informal
or short name for the source, the Master Source List will sort
alphabetically by the short name but it won't affect the formal source
title.

Many of us use that field to "group" our sources in order to find them
easily.  In the "Master Source List Name" field you can call a source
anything you want.  If you begin all census source names in that field with
the word "census" or with the year, they'll all sort together.  I have a lot
of book sources in my list but could never remember the formal titles, so I
use "book" at the beginning of the Master Source List Name field for every
book and that causes all of them to sort together so I can easily go to and
scan down the list of books.  There have been extensive discussions on the
list about grouping sources, and this is also covered briefly in _EE_.  If
you're interested in how users group their sources, a post on that topic
will bring you a lot of suggestions.

Kirsten