The periods can be a problem with some software (particularly some of the older operating systems) but the dashes seem like a good solution. Your file name would be readable and the added benefit that search engines work well with dashes.

Unfortunately, it's too late for me. I have got into the habit using the letter casing through my programming and I think it's going to be a HardHabitToBreak ;)

Thanks, Dave

Bruce Jones wrote:
Is there any problem with using periods instead of underscores? i.e., Sam.Smith.letter.jpg
Or dashes? i.e., Sam-Smith-letter.jpg