Good suggestions..   Warnings -- was getting tired and could have missed
them but I'll check the setting.  He was definitely deleted.  His RIN was
unused and  the name was no longer in the index.

Note to those using RINs -- if you do delete someone accidentally and add
them again the RIN will change.  He went from 306 to 4030.  I wanted him
back with his family and used Tools / Renumber RINs and got him back where
he was.  I liked that...

Re preferred:
I'd tried selecting either/both -- one at a time and clicking 'set to
preferred' -- no change
I'd backed the file up and did a Check/Repair - no change.

I made a copy of the database and tried to replicate the problem.  The
asterisk disappeared on one when clicked and I could then 'prefer' the right
one.  I went back to the original file and it works now too.   I don't know
what the problem was but it wasn't working before doing the same thing.
Problem solved for now.

Thanks folks

Kathy