Jeff,

I was primarily using the Narrative Book Report but have switched to the
Register Book Report for now, due to formatting issues when including photos in
my reports.

I'm in the process of moving material previously entered into notes into an
event I also call notes. If it is a long narrative, for instance, I can break
it up to smaller sections of the narrative, so I can add photos and assign
sources to each segment, if desired. I like to use a lot of photos in my
reports so sending the report to a word processor is not my personal choice.

I think you just have to goof around with a couple of generations of a family
member, try different things and see how you like the results. Just print to
the screen and look it over. If you see something not to your liking, try
something different until you achieve the formatting style or look that you
want. NO genealogy program I'm aware of is going to produce the report that
meets everyone's needs, but with a little trial and error, Legacy handles this
better for me than any other program I've used (and I own and have worked with
most of them). I have to admit my preference for using a lot of photos is what
settled me on Legacy. And my greatest hope is they will beef up this feature
some day. In my opinion, photos add so much interest to reports and engages the
reader in a way that text alone cannot. To be able to add different sized
photos in the reports is my greatest wish for Legacy.

To further answer your question, I use very few canned sentences. I have
changed almost all of them to [notes][sources] and I write what I want for each
event. In my opinion, it's far easier to format my notes once, than to have to
redo them each time in a word processor. Some exceptions are the obituary
event, where I have it set up to read; He/She was remembered in an obituary on
[date], in [place]. Then I place the text of the obituary in the notes section
of the obituary event and source it. Most of my family likes to have a printed
record of the obituary for those who have passed, so this is how I handle this
often used event in my narrative reports. It provides the reader, at a glance,
when and where the obituary was published and the obit content. The He/She
could be changed to insert the given name, if so desired, to personalize it a
bit.

This is a good question, Jeff, and I hope other Legacy users will chime in with
their suggestions on how they format their family reports. Reading the various
suggestions is how we all learn to better utilize Legacy.

Mary

  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   ... Jeff wrote:

  I am curious as to which Legacy "narrative/book" reports are most used as
  generated by Legacy or found to be most useable by experienced Legacy users.
  Do any users print these narratives as created, or are these raw reports
  usually transferred to a word processor where they are extensively re-edited
  or even re-written.

  I ask because many of the legacy created sentences read so awkwardly (no
  fault of Legacy, a computer generated text can only do so much) that I
  wonder if it is really useful to take the time to create alternative
  sentences in Legacy or just send the material to Word where the reports can
  be re-written in good English.

  Jeff