To get back to the original point (at least I hope I'm right that
these comments may be helpful), I find that the only way to include
all the sometimes rather distant descendants of interesting ancestors
is to use the 'multiple lines of descent' report.
To help with creating this, I title the 'head' of each interesting
line 'Old Father XX'. Then I can click in the name list in the given
names, and all the 'Old Father's come up together, from which I can
note the RINs, for use in the order I choose in the report.
The only snag is that although one may check the 'don't repeat
duplicate lines' box, this is unreliable.

Any help with what triggers the 'duplicate line' would be much appreciated.

Alastair