To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] ... Legacy 7, file/folder sharing ... Jim Hughes

Some more points about accessing Legacy data on a network. The shared
drive or the Legacy folder on that drive should be mapped as the SAME
drive letter on all the machines.

Legacy uses explicit paths rather than relative paths to store links to
multimedia files. The paths to multimedia files must be the same i.e.
Z:\Legacy\Pictures etc. on all the machines or one or more computers
will not be able to find the files.

The file linking for multimedia files in Legacy will only "see" local
drives, a mapped network drive will appear but not a location in Windows
"My Network places"

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

We are changing the world of genealogy!
When replying to this message, please include all previous correspondence.
Thanks.

John Carter wrote:
There are three common options for sharing Legacy files among multiple
computers.

1. The files are on a USB hard drive or memory stick which is moved from
PC to PC.

The other two options require having a home network and remembering one
key restriction - Legacy does *not* have a multi-user daabase.

2. One PC is *always* on.  The folder containing Legacy is shared on the
network and all computers use it - but ONLY ONE PC AT A TIME.  This PC
should have a UPS adequate to keep it running long enough for a proper
shutdown; most UPS units come with software that can read the status of
the unit and shutdown the PC.

3. You have a network-enabled hard drive that is always on an can be
accessed by the computers on the network - again ONLY ONE PC AT A TIME. The network drive unit should have a UPS and be able to be shutdown by the
UPS just as a PC would be.

Each computer can either use the files on the shared drive or you can copy
the network files to the computer at which you are working and copy it
back to the network drive when you finish.

Regardless of the option used, always make a backup of the changed files
on the computer you used to make changes.  This ensures that you have a
backup of the most current data if something happens to the shared copy. This is especially important with "always on" devices because they will
likely fail sooner than the devices which see interittent use.

John

... your help is required about the following:

1.  I have Legacy Family Tree 7 installed on five computers in my house.
2.  I will only have one computer open at a time.
3.  I want the capability to work on Legacy Family Tree 7 from any house
computer and, I want to be assured that
I'm working on the 'latest' copy of the file.
4.  So, I want to 'share' Legacy, but, do not know the steps for doing
such.
5.  Would some kind soul walk me through the process?
6.  Four computers have XP Home, OE 7; the fifth computer has Vista Home
Premium, OE 7.

Thanks for your time & consideration.
Take care.

Jim        [EMAIL PROTECTED]