From: Kirsten Bowman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Legacy bugs
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 1:28 PM

Ron:

Yes, I'm using the Descendant Report produced as an rtf but viewed in Word
2000.  I most often produce a 1-generation report with sources as endnotes
and no digital images involved.  With that combination I get different
results depending on whether SourceWriter was used or not--and neither is
satisfactory.

With no SourceWriter-created citations:  The preview in Legacy looks fine.
Once converted to rtf and opened in Word, the number of source citations
increases (in one instance from 27 to 39) and much of the formatting is
lost.  (I won't describe the sorry details; you will surely see the same
thing.)

A report for a different family *with* SourceWriter-created citations goes
from 22 in the Legacy preview to 41 in rtf.  If I save this as a Word
document and reopen, there are then 43 citations, and in both rtf and the
.doc version the source formatting is bad.

It's my understanding that under v.7 and with reports viewed in Word, if
the
same source was cited 12 times (perhaps a census with name and dob for each
family member), then the full source will print 12 times--each with a
different source number.  That's what I'm referring to as "source
repetition."

As your main focus is your web page, mine is producing reports in Word that
can be sent to co-researchers and being able to update posted trees via
GEDCOM.  The reports are unusable now, and editing is impossible (I've
tried
it).  Theoretically these problems shouldn't affect a GEDCOM but with the
results I'm seeing in reports, I'm afraid to update any posted trees; I
shudder to think what else might be lurking there.  As I said earlier, if
you have any suggestions for a way to produce a decent Descendant Report as
a Word document, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for your response, Ron, and I do hope you don't find a mess with the
event sources on your web site.

Kirsten