Helen (ci...@treadles.ca ) writes:

>Tindale Terrace, Farlam Parish, County Cumberland, England
>Cramlington, Northumberland, England
>SegHill, Northumberland, England
>Heathcote, Rodney, Victoria, Australia
>Lot 403 MEMORIAL GARDEN, Fairhaven Memorial Park, Santa Ana, Orange,
>California, USA

Minor problem here - I know that Canada and the USA have counties, Canada
has townships within counties, Britain has in some cases Ridings and/or
parishes within counties, but I'll admit my ignorance.

What does Australia have? Provinces, states?

And what does the USA have within counties? Do they have townships?

I'll enter -

Brandesburton Parish, East Riding Yorkshire, England

Moore Township, Lambton County, Ontario, Canada

but in the USA I usually have to find the Genweb site for that state and
work from there or plod through Google..

It's repetitive entering the word township and county all the time but makes
things a lot clearer (and more educational) for those unaware of that
particular country's geography.

Helen

Most of the USA has townships subdividing the counties, but they are seldom
noted in locations except for legal description of real property. When
appropriate or required I use the abreviation 'Twp.'. I normally use the
'city, county, state, USA' convention within the USA, except in those cases
where a city does not have a county and some other special cases like
'Washington, District of Columbia, USA' - there is no county involved in
D.C., which is technichally not a state either.

And I try to use the local convention in non USA locations.

I'll let someone from OZ give the conventions there.

With grandparents from Australia, England and from Illinois before most of
the counties were formed it is being quite an education.

Art Seddon