Using the descendant chart, the the same result in other descendant reports.

My brother in law's wife had a child to a previous encounter and three with
him.

If I run the descendant report it will show only 3 children for him and his
wife even though it will display the 1/2 child.

If I adopt him, it will print him in the report as an ordinary child of the
couple with no indication that he is adopted => unsatisfactory.  The family
card also shows him twice, once as a child of the marriage and once and a
1/2 child.

Is there any way to get it to say "adopted" in the descendant chart.  I
would also like it to indicate twins.

If I set them as step children I get the same result.