The presence of a desktop shortcut icon does not mean that program is running. It only runs when you double click on that icon to start the program.

To see what programs are currently running on your computer click on the following 3 keys simultaneously: Ctrl, Alt, and Del. The Tab "Applications" shows you what is actually running.

If your old computer slowed down, that could be due to many reasons. The most likely is that the hard drive needs to be defragmented. But there are many other reasons including infections with a virus, etc.

Jeff

ewinpa wrote:
I have put Legacy, Adobe Reader, and Irfanview for doing genealogy on
my new computer and they all installed icons on my desktop. Doesn't
that mean they are running in the background if they are on my
desktop? I don't know how to install them so that they only 'appear'
when I need to use them (i.e. when I open a file that requires one of
the to view it).

I think this is the same problem I had on my old computer. Tons of
stuff I installed on it put their icons on the desktop and my
computer got so full it slowed down so badly that it because almost
unusable. It sounded like something was running in the background
constantly and I don't know how to keep that from happening again to
this new computer. Help......

Elizabeth