On Mon, 11 May 2009 19:35:13 -0700 (PDT), ewinpa <ewi...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>I have put Legacy, Adobe Reader, and Irfanview for doing genealogy on my new
>computer and they all installed icons on my desktop. Doesn't that mean they
>are running in the background if they are on my desktop? I don't know how to
>install them so that they only 'appear' when I need to use them (i.e. when I
>open a file that requires one of the to view it).

Like Jeff said, icons on the desktop are just "shortcuts" for starting a
program. They do not mean the program is currently running. As a matter
of fact, you can delete the ones you don't want if you wish (they will
be placed in the Recycle Bin). You will still be able to start the
program from the Start > Programs menu.

Many installation programs will give you the option of creating a
desktop shortcut. I usually decline.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools