I started with including "de" in the last name and then found myself
scrolling through scads of them to find the right "place."  That was not
including the other variants of "o," "from," et alia.  I changed to using
the "place" as the last name.  There are several web sites that do it this
way, and I have found it MUCH easier to find the person I want when they do.
Sites that don't have me searching, de, d', du, des, etc.  The place is
what's important.  That being said, I make one exception - "de la Warre"
because that became Delaware.

To use your example:

First name = Mabel de
Last name = Alençon
AKA first = Mabel d'
AKA last = Alençon

That way I can find the person being referred to even if my source uses what
is any of my AKAs.

As for conversion, I slowly changed all French names from "of" to the
appropriate form(s) of "de."  German to "von," Low Countries to "van," and
similarly for Spanish, Italian, etc.

"Le," "les," and "l'" are different because they are often an integral part
of the name of the place, such as "Les Georges," and "La Bourse."  But for
"Ferrers" I have "Margaret le" "Ferrers."

The ability to have so many AKAs is one of the main reasons I switched to
Legacy many eons ago.

I save "of" for people like " Blithildis of the" "Franks," or " Fáelán Uí
Duláinge, King of" "Leinster."  He is one for whom I have 10 AKAs, which
means I can find him no matter how the author spells his name or what is
used for the patronymic.  I can also find all persons referred to as of
"Leinster."

I hoped I haven't just made things more confused for you..................

CE