From: Steve Voght <stevevo...@gmail.com>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 10:30:17 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] V7 runtime permission errors in XP

Mary,

The problem you describe here is almost certainly due to the default location
Legacy uses to save its database files (within its own program folder), which
is not the way Microsoft instructs third-party software vendors to design their
software. Instead, user files (such as your family file) are supposed to be
saved within the user folder (e.g. "My Documents" for a Windows machine). This
becomes compounded by Legacy defaulting to installing in an unusual location
(C:\Legacy) rather than c:\Program Files\Legacy, which puts it into a
privileged space that Administrators have full access to, but regular users do
not. I'm quite surprised that you can even create a database file within that
space as a limited-access user! This is something that the programmers should
probably address in a future release, because it creates security concerns and
also complicates making backups because the user files aren't saved in a
standard location that most backup programs
 look in, such as your My Documents folder.

Try saving your database to a different folder that your limited-access user
has full read/write privileges for, such as your My Documents folder, and see
if you still have the problems you report here.

-Steve