So how do we define "proof" anyway? I have seen birth certificates that are wrong, etc. Generally what we have is a preponderance of evidence. In the case below, assuming there are multiple siblings who match the correct names, ages and birth order, what you have is multiple data points all in agreement. That is no different than a fingerprint analysis. Eventually there are enough bits of data that the statistical odds of it being someone else is almost non-existent.

Gary Templeman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Roberts" <poo...@ozemail.com.au>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 1:00 PM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] How to Represent a "Best Fit" Ancestor

I have a similar situation on my paternal grandfather's line.  He was,
according to family story, sent to an orphanage by his father after his
mother died in childbirth. I have found a family of children admitted to an
orphanage in the right time frame, with siblings with same names etc.
admitted by their father after mother died.  I will probably never prove
that this is the correct family, but I have included them as "best fit" with a note for both the father and mother to say that they have not been proved to be the parents of "my" (proven) John Joseph, but that they are definitely
the parents of the children admitted to the orphanage  This note prints in
all reports so there is no confusion.

Cheers
Jan