Gene,

I was going to let all this pass, but I will refrain from typing what I am thinking.

I guess my original post was not as explanatory as it should have been.

I use the data from the file I receive as a separate reference database when locations cannot be found within the Geo-database incorporated into Legacy.

AGAIN, I use it as a separate reference database.

And if you are not comfortable with using database software, this is probably not a viable option for you. But I often see listers referring to manipulating their data in Access, so I would guess those people would find this option as a benefit.

I am sure that there is a way to update the actual Geo-Code file in Legacy, but I am not a coder or programmer and don't want to do anything that might effect proper operation of my Legacy software.

You say that you were "rewarded with more than 33MB of useless text files", if so, you did not follow the directions properly.

To use the link I provided for an update to the listing of the Geo-Database here are the steps I followed;
Go to http://www.geodatasource.com/cities-free.html

Click on download full version, make sure you are on the FREE page titled, "GeoDataSourceT World Cities Database Free Edition" If you are already a registered user of their site, log in and you will be directed to the download page.
If you are not a registered user, you must register. There is NO Charge.
After you register you will receive an email confirming your account is active and then log in and go to the download page. You can also go to the "my account" page and at the bottom of your page will show you what files you are entitled to, in my case, only 1 "GeoDataSource-Cities-Free.Text.zip"
Download the FREE edition zipped file.

You can then import that file into any database management product. To quote from their site; "SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL or other database software application capable of importing 2,248,843 records from a standard tab-delimited ASCII text file and sufficient disk space to import the database "

Once you have imported the records into a database, you can use the search function to find cities.

I do not know how old the Legacy version 7 Geo-Code database is, but in about half of the instances where I do not find a city in Legacy, I find them in GeoDataSource. The other half are usually misspelled or names that no longer exist.

I was merely pointing out as a reply to a comment that the "Legacy database has never been updated" that this is what I use.
GeoSourceData updates their downloadable free list every month.

I have NO affiliation with that company nor any connection to the product.

I hope that this can be of great help to those Legacy users who need a more current reference lookup that what Legacy provides.

(Ron, Thank you for comment "........I strongly suspect that Jay misunderstood the context of my response to the OP and was merely trying to suggest somewhere were updated lists are available."
That was exactly the intention.)