Valerie,

The Picture icon does indeed use a Legacy viewer. I can now see why Legacy
provides that viewer, and recommends that we use it (by attaching with the
picture icon) as that provides all users with a common way of viewing
pictures and support doesn't have to worry about what programs and what file
associations are on individual computers. My observation about the different
viewers used when a picture was attached using the picture icon vs. the file
icon was just that, an observation. I wasn't challenging that, saying that
was a 'bad thing', yelling at Microsoft, Legacy, or anyone else.

However, I believe from my testing that there is no Legacy viewer for any of
the other three icons. You stated

"By using the first three icons that Legacy has provided us, we know that it
will be "handled correctly" within Legacy and given the proper file
attributes.  Selecting the "File" icon and attaching your file will tell
Legacy to utilize your computer's program that is associated for that file
type."

I read this (correct me if I am wrong) that Legacy has it's own programs for
Picture, Sound, and Video, and that only 'File' uses my own computer's
programs according to it's unique file associations. I believe "Sound" and
"Video" function as 'File' does, not like the 'Picture' icon does. I
attached two sound files (different types) and one video file using the
sound and video icons respectively. When I opened them in the picture
gallery, they opened in Windows Media player and Itunes according to the
file associations on my system, not any Legacy viewer.

You are correct in recommending that the "Picture icon" be used to attach
picture type files such as jpg, gif, tiff, bmp etc. Although they will
display if you attach them with the "File icon" as long as the proper
programs are available and proper file associations set up, that's
unnecessary complication. I suspect there are also benefits to explicitly
marking them as pictures when reports and charts are being produced.

The same statement cannot be made for any non picture file, attached with
any of the Sound, Video, or File buttons. For all these file types, Legacy
will not use it's own viewer and will use whatever program is set in the
user's file associations. Therefore, to view sound, video, and text one must
always have a third party program, and also have file type to program
associations correctly set.

Paul Gray