Leon,

As I read Joyce's original request she was asking whether she could keep her
orginal structure, and with 400 photos I don't blame her, to which the answer
is "yes" because all her photo files are in the 'C' directory.

The paths to the photos are in the .fdb file which as you correctly say, is in
C:\Legacy\Data by default. Hence if Joyce copies her Data file to that location
and opens the backup in C:\ then they will be found without problem. Or the
photo files can be transferred across using USB, Disc etc (Actually I have a
home network so I just copy them).

Whether or not Joyce wishes to copy all her settings across is her choice, I
would as I believe in an easy life!

You are correct in that Legacy recommends that pictures be kept in
C:\Legacy\Pictures and if Joyce was starting from scratch I too would recommend
that course, but she isn't, and like I say, I prefer the easy life!

Tutorials: Programme of adding videos commenced
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

________________________________
> From: chap...@gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 01:57:28 -0700
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Default location for photos
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>
> Ron:
>
> You are correct and that is one way she can do it - by recreating the same
> folder / sub folder / file structure on both machines. A copy from machine A
> to machine B will do that. A new install of Legacy on the new machine will be
> required. Any user settings will be back to the initial set that Legacy has
> defined, so one may want to copy all of the *.usr files from A to B machine
> after Legacy has benn installed. The family database must also be copied from
> machine A to B. Normally, this file should also reside at the same location
> on both machines - Legacy by default likes to use:
>

> c:\Legacy\Data\ as the default location for the database.
>
> Since Joyce has chosen to create a new structure/location for her photos, she
> may very well have her family database in a unique location also???? Wherever
> it is located, she will probably want to copy that file to the same location
> on both machines.
>

> The 2nd option that I proposed was to simplify the picture file structure by
> coping all the photo files into a single sub-directory. Legacy by default
> uses: C:\Legacy\Pictures\ as the picture sub-directory.
>

> The standard Legacy default locations has advantages when it comes to backing
> up your files and databases - it is much simpler, just copy the entire Legacy
> subfolder and you get all your necessary files. Some people have their
> database and pictures located under c:\My Documents\ so they can backup the
> folder c:\My Documents\ and get all of the major files.
>

> Bottom line, you can place your database, photos, etc wherever you want. The
> easiest way is to replicate everything from Machine A to Machine B, but then
> you have the backup problems mentioned above.
>

> ___
> Leon Chapman
> chap...@gmail.com
> -----
>

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM, ronald ferguson> wrote:
>

> Leon,
>

> I am not sure what you are suggesting here. Joyce has all her pictures in
> folders in the C Drive, or in their sub folders. This is fine and will work
> without problem on any machine or o/s.
>

> If I was Joyce I would just copy the lot, as they stand, across to the C
> Drive of the second machine and Legacy will know where they are.
>

> If Joyce does as you suggest then she will have to tell Legacy where they are.
>

> Ron Ferguson

> Tutorials: Programme of adding videos commenced
>
> http://www.fergys.co.uk/
>
> View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
>
> http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
>
> For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:
>
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

>> From: chap...@gmail.com
>
>> Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:30:11 -0700

> [...]

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN.

http://extras.uk.msn.com/internet-explorer-8/?ocid=T010MSN07A0716U