Ila East wrote
I would disagree with the statement below. I have pictures in two main folders, with subfolders. I have one in documents/genealogy/gravestones. The others I have in pictures/family and various surnames. I have no problem with them displaying in Legacy or Legacy finding them when I test the multimedia file locations.

I, too have pictures in two quite distinct places - I have photographs of people and places and so in sub-folders within C:\Legacy\Pictures and I have Census images, scans of certificates, information copies from web pages, etc, which are all attached to Sources stored in numerous folders and sub-folders within C:\genes.

I see that at the moment I don't have anything in C:\Legacy\Docs which is slightly odd because I thought I had put some files in there! I have no doubt I will use that folder in the future.

As for naming of pictures and documents, which is mentioned elsewhere, this is something I wish I'd given a lot more thought to when I first started! I am gradually changing filenames to more sensible and easily-findable ones. Photos of individuals are "Surname, forenames RIN" with some further identifier as required, such as "Paul, Eileen Margaret 203 aged 6" or "Bloor, William Henry 166 in Investiture uniform". Pictures of a wedding couple are "groom surname, groom forenames RIN = bride surname, bride forenames RIN". Pictures of headstones, memorials etc are all together in a Graves folder, so each file is named "Gravestone - surname, forenames RIN" or "Memorial - surname, forenames RIN."

This is still very much a work in progress! One thing I have found useful is having a set of "index pages" for all my group photos. On an A4 sheet I print a copy of the picture and underneath the names of all the people depicted, along with their UserID (which is an identifier plus RIN, eg B7.149) working from left to right and in rows from top to bottom. I title each page with a simple identifier such as "Horatio, Gertrude and their Children" or "Henry & Margaret Silver Wedding 1900" and in the header I print the full path and filename of the electronic version of that photograph.
--
Jenny M Benson