At some point we need to post/share our data in a way that our relatives can
find it - decades from now.

What options are there?
1. Give them a printed report of the family history. Effective but instantly
gives them the data as of that day & only for one part of the family.
2. Give them a CD-ROM with our "latest" data. - Only effective for 2-3 years
and only if they have the genealogy software to upload it to.
3. Use Ancestry? Yes - I have subscribed since the beginning. But - I don't
expect my relatives to pay $155/year (or more) to keep up with it. Yes - I
want my data open to everyone. That is - all of my data from 1900 and back.
4. I have been trying out the "new" FamilySearch - the linked family trees
there are fantastic and best part - it is all free. So - the kids, grandkids
- cousins that have zero interest now in genealogy - can find my data -
decades from now - with the latest info as current as the last time I
updated a record. I can put in every citation and everyone can see it
anytime. What they can't see are the "living" relatives AND I never enter
anyone from 1900 to the present. The terrific feature is that this site will
"sync" with Legacy (coming soon) etc. So - I can keep a copy of the family
tree from 1900 to the present on my laptop using Legacy & it will
automatically sync up with the family tree on FamilySearch.org from 1899 and
back. I now only update the older records on "new" FamilySearch and update
the recent family data on Legacy. I almost died last year - so I see this as
my "permanent" method of keeping and passing on my family tree information.
I understand that this newest FamilySearch feature will be released in early
2010.

When I started researching in 1965 - the local genealogical society
encouraged everyone to "preserve" their family tree data on typed charts.
They long ago stopped doing that. I see "FamilySearch" as THE modern
solution for preserving my data - putting it where relatives can find it. I
have well over 80k names now and need a realistic way to "back it all up"
and pass it on. For me - this combination of Legacy and the "new"
FamilySearch.org is it.

Tom
thomas.j.k...@gmail.com