I treat each birth, marriage and death certificate as a master source
because information from each certificate relates to a number of different
people.  A birth certificate can give father's and mothers full names, ages
(hence approximate birth date), occupations and birthplaces, parents
marriage date and place, and birth informant.  Other certificates similarly
have data on several people apart from the certificate subject person(s).

I am trying to cite a birth certificate issued in Scotland. The template for
a birth certificate comes from "Birth records>Birth certificate>All
countries except.>Created at state/provincial level>basic format" (Most
other options within this certificate string get you to a similar set of
fields)

There does not appear to be a field to record whose birth the certificate
relates to.

If I use this master source to, for instance, source the parent's marriage
place or the father's occupation, there is no way in the printed out source
list that comes from this template, to tell which certificate the
information was taken from. I can title the document in the Source List Name
to uniquely identify it, but that does not print out in the reports.

The same issue relates to citing marriage and death certificates - there
does not appear to be a field to record the name of the principal player.
These templates are thus of no use at all, or am I missing something?  Do I
have to go back to the Basic source format and use the Title field to get a
source that tells me whose birth is being recorded?

How does anybody else cite a birth certificate?

Boyd

06:37:00