Boyd Miller wrote
I treat each birth, marriage and death certificate as a master source because information from each certificate relates to a number of different people. A birth certificate can give father's and mothers full names, ages (hence approximate birth date), occupations and birthplaces, parents marriage date and place, and birth informant. Other certificates similarly have data on several people apart from the certificate subject person(s).

I don't see that your reasoning above is valid. Just because a Source relates to several different people, it doesn't follow that you have to create a new Master Source for every similar document. That's what Source Detail is for. "Master Source" is for generalities - things that are likely to be repeated over and over, such as the fact that it's a Birth Certificate, that it was issued in a certain Country by a certain Authority. "Source Details" is for, not surprisingly, the details - things that won't be the same for every similar document, such as that the Birth Certificate is for Joe Bloggs or Fanny Adams.

I am trying to cite a birth certificate issued in Scotland. The template for a birth certificate comes from "Birth records>Birth certificate>All countries except.>Created at state/provincial level>basic format" (Most other options within this certificate string get you to a similar set of fields)

There does not appear to be a field to record whose birth the certificate relates to.

No, for the reasons I have given above. That field, is in the Source Details

I think you would be well advised to re-think how you tackle Master Sources and make more use of Source Details.
--
Jenny M Benson