                Event:  Census
                Date:  29 Aug 1950
                Place:  Mentz, Cayuga County, New York

                Notes:  Nathan Holmes was shown as being 41 years old and
born in New York state. He was a farmer.  He lived on Oxford Lane and owned
his own home and farm.

By placing the year in the Description field, it also shows up in the
Individual view easily so that I can easily see if I listed a census out of
chronological order.

In the Notes section, I place everything that appears in the census for the
individual and write it in sentences because my end result is usually the
Descendant Book.  The reason that I place everything from a census in the
notes for each specific individual is that when reading the Descendant
Books, the reader is going to read one person at a time.  If information
relating to a person is not found under his own entry, the reader can
overlook that data or information entirely.

My source for a census event is taken directly from the page at
Ancestry.com. The main source remains the same for everyone with the same
census year and only the Details contains any variable information.

                Main Source:  United States of America, Bureau of the
Census, 1850 United States Federal  Census [database on-line]. (Seventh
Census of the United States, 1850. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and
Records Administration, 1850. M432, 1,009 rolls.),

                Details:  Year: 1850; Census Place: Mentz, Cayuga, New York;
NARA Series M432, Roll: 481; Page: 90; Image: 181.  Repository:
Ancestry.com, Provo, Utah, http://www.ancestry.com/.

In this way, whenever I printed a Descendant Book it is easy to read and the
footnotes contain only footnote information and not details about a person's
life.  I've looked at reports where personal data was placed into the
footnotes and I have found it to be difficult to read such reports.

But whatever you do, be consistent in your input and look at your end
results to see if you like them.  And as long as someone else can read your
reports and use your sources to locate the original documentation, you know
that you have succeeded.

Happy Hunting!
Cathy-0