Alan Jones wrote
1. In Legacy you have an event called Census. What others enter do and find works best and why for the related event fields?
-Date:
-Place:
-Notes:

It has taken me ages to decide how to handle Censuses and I have changed my method a few times, but this is how I do it now. Firstly, I have separate Census Events for the Censuses of each Country

In the Description field I enter the full details from each column of the Census, so a typical entry might read "Joe Bloggs; head of household; married; aged 36; born in Birkenhead, Cheshire; Farmer employing 5 men and 2 boys." (There are additional fields in some years. I add "lunatic" or "blind" or whatever if there is an entry in that column.)

Date is the date of enumeration which is one specific date for England, Scotland, Wales etc.

In Place I enter the full address of the household, or as much as is given which may or may not include house number or name and street name.

In the Notes field I enter all the people in the household with their RINs, for example "The household comprised Joe Bloggs 123, his wife Fanny Adams 124, their children Mary Bloggs 333 & John Bloggs 335, a Cook and a Housemaid." (I will not usually include the Notes in Reports which include Events, or might edit the Report so that the Notes are only included for the Head of Household.)

This method of entry makes it very quick and easy to use the Event Clipboard to enter the Census information for everyone in a large household, as only the Description line needs to be changed for each person. When I look at any one individual I get a complete picture of their household.

2. How do you enter specific fields such as in the 1900 US Census like:
Relation, Color or Race, Attended School, Can Read, Can Write, Can speak English, Owner or rented home, Farm or House .. or even my favorite in the 1870 Census is "Whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic.....

I've hardly had to deal with any US Censuses yet, but if faced with all those columns I think I would include them all much as I do now: "Joe Bloggs ... white; attended school; cannot read or write; can speak English; home owner; farm..."
--
Jenny M Benson