I have a Master Source for each U. S. census year, state and county. So the
source would be called:

Missouri, Howell - census 1900 (Ancestry)

In the census event, I call it simply "census" (but I think there is a good
argument for having the census events defined by year).

I do not put anything in the descriptive (although I have toyed with
entering the exact head of household name).

I use the exact census date, from the census page, as the date.

I enter full census data in the Notes section, so that it will be viewable
on the Chronology page:

1. Jas Phipps, head, owns free of mortgage, male, white, 48, Missouri,
Kentucky, Tennessee, farmer
2. Martha Phipps, wife, female, white, 50, Tennessee, Tennessee, Tennessee
3. Tim Phipps, son, male, white, 20, Missouri, Missouri, Tennessee
4. Ruby Phipps, daughter, female, white, 15, attended school this year,
Missouri, Missouri, Tennessee
5. Paul Phipps, son, male, white, 12, attended school this year, Missouri,
Missouri, Tennessee
6. Sim Phipps, son, male, white, 10, attended school this year, Missouri,
Missouri, Tennessee

I also bold the person of interest in the above list.

Having said that, I do try to keep my database up to date. But,I suggest to
you that the more serious you get about your methodology, the less serious
these questions become - because you do so much writing, with footnotes, and
do not consider your database any longer to be chapter and verse.

Janis Walker Gilmore