Sherry,

Welcome aboard!

My first piece of advice would be to have a play; someone suggested entering a
small number of relatives. Whilst this is good practice for entering and
sourcing data etc., you may not wish to change this once entered, in which case
play with the Sample file - that's what it is for. When entering data remember
that just because a field is there you don't need to put anything in it if you
don't want. In any event have a look at the Sample file to see what the set up
is like.

Go to Options>Customise and learn the settings, again by playing with them, I'm
afraid that there are a lot. The Help files are *always* the most up to date
and the Help button on a screen relates only to that screen (same as f1 in most
programs).

Back-up regularly when involved in a long session. If you do not have a backup
Icon on the top-bar then right click on the bar and drag it onto the main bar
(and any others you fancy!). Always back-up when finishing - if no changes have
been made you will not be invited to. Maintaining your back-ups means you can
play to your hearts content without worrying about losing your stuff.

Regard the RINs and MRINs as just numbers and not related to the status, or
order of preference, of any individual. I see that you are thinking of creating
web pages, I have omitted "simple" as who knows how it will grow - have a look
at my "simple" one :-). Which, by the way, contains some tutorials which may
interest you, the fergys.co.uk one (below). If thinking of using the Pedigree
web pages, in Customise>Options set Legacy not to re-use empty RINs as those
pages use them as the file names.

Only use alpha-numeric characters plus hyphen and underscores in file and
folder names, and it is better to settle on how you are going to use the case
from day one eg. ronferguson.jpg or RonFerguson.jpg etc. Incidentally, Legacy
does not like "JPEG", so always use "JPG" instead. Remember that whilst Windows
is case insensitive most web servers are not.

I think I'd better leave it there else you may feel that it's a bit complicated
- always feel free to ask here!

Good luck

New Tutorial: Embed a Blogger RSS feed on your webpage
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See: