Sherry,
You asked:
"When I find online information on my family and perhaps family trees that
have been submitted how do I handle that? Do I download all the information
and then go about trying to verify it? "

I would be careful with what information you enter into your database that
you pick up from online trees that do not list sources, but I personally do
include such information if it seems to help obtain clues.  Two things I
would suggest when you add information to your database is that:
1) You always source the fields you populate so that later you know where
and from whom you recorded the information.   There is nothing worse than to
look at your database and wonder where you got a specific piece of
information, especially if you find other records whose data conflicts with
what you already have.
2) As I enter the source information, I make use of Legacy's Surety Level,
and use either 1 (Marginal), or 0 (Have Not Decided Yet) to be able to later
identify those entries that I'm not sure of.  You can include the Surety
Level when you print Source Citations in your reports.

Once so entered, I then also look for supporting source documentation to
verify/validate the information.

Tom