From: "TomK" <giz...@gmail.com>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:08:11 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Just Starting Out

Sherry,

You asked:
"When I find online information on my family and perhaps family trees that have
been submitted how do I handle that? Do I download all the information and then
go about trying to verify it? "

I would be careful with what information you enter into your database that you
pick up from online trees that do not list sources, but I personally do include
such information if it seems to help obtain clues.  Two things I would suggest
when you add information to your database is that:
1) You always source the fields you populate so that later you know where and
from whom you recorded the information.   There is nothing worse than to look
at your database and wonder where you got a specific piece of information,
especially if you find other records whose data conflicts with what you already
have.
2) As I enter the source information, I make use of Legacy's Surety Level, and
use either 1 (Marginal), or 0 (Have Not Decided Yet) to be able to later
identify those entries that I'm not sure of.  You can include the Surety Level
when you print Source Citations in your reports.

Once so entered, I then also look for supporting source documentation to
verify/validate the information.

Tom

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM, < daughterofmyfat...@comcast.net > wrote:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sherry and I've just joined the group and have been watching it for
about a week now. I haven't started on my family genealogy yet, so I have only
purchased Legacy 7 with all the updates. Ron brought up a good point when he
wrote:

<Herein lies a problem which all of us have probably faced when first starting
out on our ancestral trail - we do not <know where we are going! The earlier
this decision is taken then the earlier the format of the database can be <set.
It also follows that one may need more than one database, if there are to be
multiple output formats.

I've done some thinking about this and decided that the main reasons I want to
use Legacy for are:

1) To upload my data to FamilySearch

2) Print some simple charts that show my direct line that includes their
spouses and children

3) To create a simple web page with the information I find about my ancestors,
including interesting stories, data, and sources for a very small family of a
brother, sister, daughter, and nephew.

I borrowed the first set of CDs on Legacy and watched them several times and
they have helped me to learn how to get around the program and enter data.
However, I am still left with trying to design my database as Ron pointed out.
And, deciding on a way to enter sources, media, etc. When I find online
information on my family and perhaps family trees that have been submitted how
do I handle that? Do I download all the information and then go about trying to
verify it? And probably many other things that I don't know enough about to
even ask a question. Would you mind giving me some guidance about how to go
about this?

Sherry