And I disagree........I believe you should always use the FIRST logical document - birth or baptism - as that is the name they were given. All others are changes to the name they were given.
PS - I am a professional genealogist.

Jenny M Benson wrote:
Laura Johnson wrote
I have a much more standardized approach to the names. I would approach it very simplistically I record EXACTLY what is on the documents. If the birth document stated the surname is PETER, then I would record it as that. If a later document for the same person shows PETERS, then I would create the AKA for that entry.

I also record exactly what is written on every Source document, but when you create an Individual in Legacy you have to choose one primary Surname and all other Surnames are recorded as AKAs. If I had only one Source for the Surname at Birth and it happened to differ from any other spelling used later in life, I would not record the "main Surname" as that on the Birth Source document, but would use the one most commonly found.

My Great Grandfather's Forename was Horace, his name appears as such on nearly all documentation - except his Birth Certificate on which he is recorded as Orace. My Source Citation shows that he was Orace on his BC, but in my family file his Forename is Horace.