Yes. And I have a marriage record one party's surname are spelled differently within the same document. This New England family had moved to the south. Same name, but with pronunciation variations that led to differing spellings.

Dawn

Laura Johnson wrote:
It is NOT pendantic at all.........I choose to be historically/genealogically correct and record EXACTLY how each instance of the name appears in that person's life with the first available document from the birth being the first/preferred name.
For example - this is my 3rd great grandfather
Birth document in 1832 - he is listed as Saverio Ignazio Sansone-Zodia
Baptismal document - ON THE SAME DAY IN 1832 - he is listed as Xaverio Sansone alias Zodia (this is listed as AKA)
Marriage document in 1858 - he is listed as Saverio Sansone (another AKA)
On several of his children's birth documents, he is listed as Ignazio Saverio Sansone (another AKA) Death document in 1922 - he is listed as Saverio Sansone Zodia (another AKA)

Each entry is sourced as to where it was found and the date of the document so if shows the pattern of the names he used throughout his life.

I am transcribing into my Legacy file a complete town in Sicily. I enter the documents EXACTLY as they are on the document I am entering. If I think there is a mistake in the name, then it is CLEARLY notated in the notes section WHY I think a there is a mistake. I do not arbitrarily change a name to whatever a person went by later in life. Each time a new variation of that person's name exists, it gets an AKA. The baptismal documents before the civil records show the Latin names and are the only exceptions to the rule in my files. The Italian/Sicilian name is recorded as the preferred and the baptismal name is an AKA