On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 20:16:09 -0700, "Kirsten Bowman" <vik...@rvi.net>
wrote:

>But Laura, how do you account for pastors who couldn't spell or who
>"latinized" infants' names?  Should a baptismal record for "Fredrikus
>Merkel" take precedence over a will signed in the man's own hand as
>Frederick Markle--along with all the land and military records listing the
>latter?  With due respect, that seems to border on the pedantic.  As long as
>the baptismal version is recorded in the source notes, wouldn't it be
>sensible to show the primary name as the one actually used by the
>individual?

The main point is that each piece of evidence needs to be recorded
somewhere.

Legacy forces us to choose one of the names as preferred. How do we
choose? It might depend on the intended audience. If we were submitting
a formal document to a genealogical society we might be given a set of
publishing guidelines to follow (earliest documented reference perhaps).
If we were publishing on the web with the intent of attracting long lost
relatives, we might want to use the name that we think people would
google for.

<SOAPBOX>
I've mentioned this before, but I believe Legacy could do with a
redesign of its AKA handling. Allow the AKAs to be classified. Users can
add their own classes with custom report sentences for each class. Allow
AKAs to be flagged as "private". Allow user to choose which AKA class to
use as the main name on screen, in a report, or on a web page. Etc.
</SOAPBOX>

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools