Barbara Ford wrote:
> Hello, all those who know more than I do (that would be anyone who is
> reading this):
> I have been a self-confessed fraidy-cat about updating. I am using
> Legacy Deluxe, 6.0.0.190. I have resisted updating, because when
> Legacy 7 was released, there seemed to be some questions on this group
> that made me nervous. I am not having any problems with what I am
> using, and I'm always afraid I'll be worse off. But, I realize that at
> some point, it's not even possible to make current what I have now. I
> may have already reached that point. When Legacy 7 came out, I
> received a CD (Legacy 7) and book in the mail (as I recall, I received
> it because it had not been very long since I had purchased Legacy 6).
> I have not done anything with it.
>
> Should I leave well-enough alone, or update my version 6 as much as I
> can, and then forget it, or do something more drastic? Thanks for
> help.
>
> I reiterate that I am comfortable with what I am using, except that
> attaching pictures seems to be an issue that, if I understand, is not
> really a glitch, but rather the nature of the software and therefore
> has not changed in the more recent updates.
>
> Barbara

Barbara,

The choice is entirely yours, and it is one about which I do not feel that
anyone is able to advise.

You are quite correct in saying that when Legacy 7.0 was first released
there were many problems, most of which have now been resolved. Personally I
updated, and the bugs did not really bother me, as I simply put some things
off , for example reports which contained errors, until the bugs had been
corrected. Fortunately I was in a position to do this. For my main interest
which is creating and maintaining a website I was able to work round the
problems.

If I was in your situation, and I take it that you are not working in
conjunction with someone else who is using V7.0, I would have a close look
at all the new functions, eg Source Writer, which were introduced with V7.0
and decide if I would have a use for them.  If I would then I would upgrade.
There are details of these on Legacy's website. The one thing which you
might like to bear in mind is that should you wish to take advantage of the
direct link between Legacy and the new Family Search (when it is generally
available) then you will have no option but to upgrade.

The choice I made was mine, and one which suited me and my circumstances,
and I work in conjunction with another person so they are not applicable to
yourself. Pretty well all the bugs in V7.0 which gave the main concerns have
been resolved. There are some left, and there are some in your version of V6
as well - some of which are in V7.4 btw.

Finally, if you do take the step, and don't forget to update, if you keep
your old back-ups and *do not overwrite them* you can always revert back by
uninstalling V7.0, installing V6 from Legacy's website and restoring from
the old back-ups.

Ron Ferguson

*New* Tutorial: Add Location Pins to Google Earth
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
And the Fergusons of N.W. England