We once had a number that was one digit different from a local duscount
store.  Most of the callers were certain that they had dialled the right
number.  I finally started telling them that stock on the item of interest
was limited, but I would put one back for them - they should ask for
"Jason" to get the item.  The problem went away when the store closed a
couple of years later.

We moved about six years ago and got a new phone number.  It had been the
home and work number of someone who ran a contracting company.  The
company apparently shut down and disappeared into the night, but we didn't
discover any of that until after updating our number with family and
business contacts (and having new business cards printed).

The people looking for money or warranty service stopped calling after a
year or so, but the guy never updated his phone number with his doctor,
pharmacy, etc.  Appointment reminders and "Your prescription is ready"
messages were still coming to the number in year five.

Having a common name (would you believe 20+ of us in the metro area?)
means I have received calls intended for many of the others.  The best
call was an offer to be Head of Pediatrics at a hospital in North
Carolina.  As good as I am in many areas, I'm not qualified for that one
;-)

John