Roger,
I want to warn you about Ancestry.com.  It is a WONDERFUL resource for
DOCUMENTS.  It  is a terrible resource when you are relying on someone
else's family trees as the basis of your research.  You said it was "easy"
to find 2200+ ancestors.  I would guess that is because you were copying
what other people had in their family trees.   The problem with the family
trees on Ancestry is that 99.9% of the information on there is UNSOURCED.
You need a source for EVERY fact in your file.  Anything that doesn't have a
source is pretty much worthless and fiction.  That is one of the wonderful
things about Legacy, there is system in place to easily record your sources
in a consistent way.  I can't tell you how many times I have emailed or
messaged someone on Ancestry saying, "Where did you get that birthdate?  I
have been looking for that for years!"  and the answer I will get back is
either, "I just copied it off of someone else's tree," or simply, "I don't
know."  That information is WORTHLESS!   As a genealogy columnist and
instructor, this is my #1 pet peeve.   I have seen people download complete
GEDCOMS (unsourced) from the internet and just integrate it into their file,
WORTHLESS!  That isn't research.  Not only that but chances are pretty good
that it will be full of errors because the person you got it from didn't
bother to research anything either.

Now back to your original question...  If I were you, I would start my
database off FRESH in Legacy, one person at a time.  Start with yourself and
then work backward ONE GENERATION AT A TIME adding your sources as you go.
As far as the census records go, it is VERY easy to attach a census record
to your Legacy file.   All you have to do is save it at a pdf to your hard
drive and then attach it to your census event or to your source (or to both
as Geoff does).  No, all of the census records you have attached to your
Legacy account will not transfer over with one click but in my opinion, that
is a good thing.  You need to go back and review each person one at a time.
If you do this I will guarantee you will see some things that you didn't
notice before.

Michele Simmons Lewis, Staff Genealogist
McDuffie Mirror
Thomson, McDuffie Co, GA
[I added my full title just to give my opinion a little more oomph]