Jerry,

In a word ‘yes’ you are correct.

You can use the word probably in the event description field although in the
sentence that is written it will read

Alt. birth probably [date] [location] which would look awkward.

I just add the location that I think is correct and then in the notes list out
reasons.

i.e.   Alt. birth 28 Feb 1928 Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United
States

and in the notes I write something like… Her family was residing in
Indianapolis in the 1928 directory and 1930 US census.  Assuming she was born
in Indianapolis but to date have not been able to locate a birth certificate.

Note:  in my location I do not use ‘probably’ or any brackets, etc. which make
it easy to ‘swap’ the information to the individual fields once I find
verification of her birth.

Angela