> I do something a little different than many of the other suggestions…
> on the individual information screen I do not enter a location for birth,
> death, etc unless I have verification of an actual location.   I use the
> events/facts section and have an “alt. birth”, “alt. death”, etc
> event where I list the location where I suspect an event occurred and then
> list the reasons/sources.  I also use this same method for dates that I am
> unsure of.

If I *have* Sources for a location then I enter it in the usual way.  I
find entering <Cheshire> or <Newcatle-upon-Tyne> gives me a quick and easy
prompt that I don't really know where the Event occurred, but that is
probably the best place to start looking.  I am not bothered about
"messing up my Location list" because again it is an obvious reminder to
me that I have a location that needs verifying and it's easy to look up to
see who the location is attached to.

It's not something I need to use very often, either.  If I only know the
country or county where someone is born then I just enter that much
information in the Location field.

--
Jenny M Benson