Thanks Jenny and Bob,
 They’re .docx
Re Tools, Customize Launch – not there in Legacy or Admin Tools for Windows.
Is there another step between the two?

I’ve use this same procedure to link a census page and a typed obit, no problem
– difference is that I didn’t make any changes to them.  Also closed Legacy and
reopened to see if that made a diff.

Procedure to link ‘File’:

Click Pictures icon
Click File (hdstn folder opens in Word, the last place I used)
Click ‘Fred and Margret Workman hdstn.docx’
Click ‘Open’ in Word (to attach)
Legacy Description pg opens
Type ‘Headstone’ caption
Hit OK – icon labeled Headstone is in the Pic Gallery
Dbl click - didn’t close the .docx file, get ‘the hdstn file is in use, etc…’
uses the new and correct file name.  Closed it
Dbl click again – got the old, unedited file that has been deleted.

Betty
FL

On 14/10/2011 22:24, Bob Rowe wrote:
> Legacy wouldn't change the extension. Are they .doc or .docx? I don't
> even know if Wordpad will open a docx. If it is a .doc and you double
> click the file and it opens in Wordpad, then your file associations
> need fixing so that a .doc opens up in Word instead.

Legacy has the facility to override the Windows defaults so the OP
should go to Tools>Customise>Launch and see if Wordpad is selected as
the default wordprocessor for Legacy and if so, change it to Word.

--
Jenny M Benson