Erica (and Dennis)

I stand corrected. Dennis is right, (I tried his test). Dropbox is being
updated each time you save a record, not just when you close Legacy.

I took it one step further. I updated (but did not close) Legacy while my
internet connection was disabled by powering off my modem. The little Dropbox
icon spun and spun until I re-established my connection, then the files updated
in the cloud. Confirmed by looking at event log in Dropbox.

Based on other notes in this thread, I can see that if the only purpose of
one's use of Dropbox is to provide offsite backup (not multi computer
synchronization) it is sufficient to simply store the backup zip files in
Dropbox. I would simply use the Dropbox directory in the File-Backup dialog.
This gives you two backups, the first is in the Dropbox folder on your local
PC, the second (created a few milliseconds later as long as you are on-line) in
your Dropbox folder in the cloud.

If you want to synchronize two computers automatically, you need to put your
working file in the Dropbox folder on both PCs. Yes, you do have to be careful
to ensure that 1) you only use Legacy on one machine at a time, and 2) you
allow the synchronization process to complete before using Legacy on the second
computer. More specifically,

1) At the end of a session working on PC1, one must allow Dropbox to finish
uploading changes to the cloud. If one is offline, one must go online at some
point to complete this step before moving to step 2.
2) Before opening Legacy on PC2, one must go online and ensure that Dropbox has
downloaded the latest fdb file as part of the automatic synchronization
process. Otherwise, one will be working with an out of date fdb file which will
effectively erase the latest changes made on PC1.

I don't want to put words in Dennis's mouth, but I am assuming that his
reluctance (at least in part) to endorse putting the live file in Dropbox is
because this process is user controlled and subject to error. It really
depends, I think on whether the two PC's are routinely used at the same time
and the user's knowledge level.

If it's difficult to control synchronization as above (let's say there are
multiple people using the computer and one is never sure what the other person
has done) the procedure of storing just the zip files in Dropbox and doing a
restore of the cloud copy of the backup zip file on PC2 (suggested by Wendy, I
think) seems like an excellent user controlled alternative.

Paul Gray