On 2011/10/29 13:55, M. Brenzel wrote:

> In my opinion, it is important to remember the history.
>
> I have events in my database that took place in what is now Detroit,
> Michigan, USA when it was a French fort.  Research provided me with the time
> frames of Detroit's evolution through various jurisdictions until Michigan
> became a state.

Quite right! Context is everything. It is important to know when someplace was
known as one thing since this may govern where you should be searching. It's
particularly important when considering personal papers such as private letters
(should you be so lucky) which may refer to places which are nowadays known as
something different.

It's a pity that the Master Location List doesn't really help in maintaining the
historical context of a place. After all, a Location is really a physical,
geographical place and probably has a history all of its' own :-)

--
Regards,
Mike Fry