I will add my vote to those that use Legacy just as a database and not a report
generating tool. This link is an excerpt from my book which I did in Word:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0y7d08opdwcjsg7

If I was starting again I would possibly use Legacy to produce the skeleton of
the book and then I would re-write it from there.

I used Patricia Law Hatcher’s book “Producing a Quality Family History” as my
guide. I am onto my second book now which is just an addendum to the first. You
have to stop sometime or you will never produce anything!! I tried where I
could to flesh out the names, dates, places with history to put it into context
and make it interesting, which I had mixed success with as some people have so
little information about them to begin with. I firmly believe no one will read
it if you don’t do that. I liked chapter 4 of this:
http://familystories.shancjackson.com/Tapestry_Downer.html as it really
intertwined history with the family.

Thought you might like some more ideas.

Gavin...